Teeth grinding, gnashing, or clenching is known medically as Bruxism. Those who suffer from bruxism are prone to either grinding their teeth in their sleep (nocturnal bruxism) or clenching them unintentionally when awake (awake bruxism). To wit, bruxism during sleep is classified as a movement problem. There is a correlation between bruxism (nighttime teeth clenching/grinding) and other sleep disturbances such as snoring and respiratory disruptions (sleep apnea).
It’s possible that mild cases of bruxism don’t need medical intervention. However, chronic and severe may cause jaw abnormalities, headaches, tooth damage, and other issues. It’s vital to recognize the signs and symptoms and to get regular dental treatment since you may have these problemand not realize them until difficulties occur.
Symptoms of Bruxism
Some of the possible symptoms are:
- Clicking or grinding your teeth, which might be loud enough to disturb your sleeping spouse
- Damaged, broken, chipped, or loose teeth
- Exposed dentin and pulp due to worn enamel
- Enhanced sensitivity or discomfort in one’s teeth
- Having trouble opening or closing your mouth entirely because of sore or tense jaw muscles
- Irritation or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or face
- Experiencing pain in your ear, but knowing it’s not an ear condition
- A dull, throbbing headache has just begun in the temples.
- The harm caused by chewing the inside of your cheek
- Disruption of sleep
Researchers have speculated that a mix of physical, psychological, and genetic variables may underlie bruxism, but they lack sufficient evidence to draw any firm conclusions.
- Many different feelings, including worry, stress, anger, annoyance, and tension, might contribute to bruxism that occurs while awake. It might also be a coping mechanism or a routine practice while trying to focus.
- It has been hypothesized that it is a sleep-related chewing activity linked to nocturnal awakenings.
Make sure to tell the dentist at your child’s next check-up at The Team Dental, Khardi, Pune, if you’ve seen any of the symptoms and indicators of bruxism, such as teeth grinding.
About Dr. Samidha Patil:-
Dr. Samidha Patil is the best dentist in Kharadi with 10+ years of experience in dentistry with special expertise in cosmetic dentistry and smiles makeovers with digital dentistry. She has recently completed her training in injection molding composites, the bio clear concept. She is the one who set up The Team Dental Clinic in Kharadi, Pune.